**Please remember every computers resolution is different when viewing photos**
Why A Personal Photographer?
This article has been very well received by the photography community, and is published in the December 2009 edition of Professional Photographer Magazine
In this digital age where everyone has cameras, scanners, and home "photo printers," we hear this all the time: How do professional (or personal) photographers charge $X for an 8x10 when they cost just $1.50 at the drugstore? Simply put, the customer is not just paying for the actual photograph; they're paying for time and expertise.
The average one-hour portrait session
First, let's look at the actual work involved:
- Travel to the session
- Setup, preparation, talking to the client, etc.
- Shoot the photos
- Travel from the session
- Load images onto a computer
- Back up the files on an external drive
- 2 - 4 hours of Adobe® Photoshop® time, including cropping, contrast, color, sharpening, and backing up edited photographs. Proof photos are also ordered.
- 2 - 3 hours to talk to the client, answer questions, receive order and payment, order their prints, receive and verify prints, package prints, schedule shipment, and ship.
- Possibly meet clients at the studio to review photos and place order. Meeting and travel time average 2 hours.
You can see how a one-hour session easily turns into an eight-hour day or more from start to finish.
Chain stores do have their place. For a very cheap price you can run in, shoot some quick photos, and be done with it. But you get what you pay for.
Consider the time and effort that a personal photographer puts into photographs, compared to a chain store. Store sessions last just a few minutes, while a personal photographer takes the time to get to know the people, makes them comfortable, makes them laugh. If a baby is crying at a chain store, they often don’t have the time (or the patience) to wait because everyone is in a hurry.
What will my session consist of?
Your session will last from 30 mins to possibly a few hours. I will allow the time it takes to get the desired shot and allow for your child(ren) to become comfortable.
Your session will be available for online proofing or in studio proofing.
Each photo taken will be edited by me and can take up to a week to be available for proofing.
How do I order?
You can contact me with photo number and photo information.
What are studio/location hours?
Sessions are by appointment only. Please call (leave message if no answer) or email me!
Contact Sharon for a full product information and specials!